Kentucky Highlands was formed 45 years ago during the War on Poverty to stimulate job creation and economic investment. Today, we are one of the largest development venture capital investors in rural America. We have been successful in maximizing public and private investment capital to:
• Help create more than 18,000 jobs;
• Provide more than 625 businesses with more than $275 million in financing;
- Improve the economy through investing in companies that have:
- Produced goods and services valued at $6.5 billion;
- Paid more than $2.1 billion in salaries and wages; and
- Generated an estimated $400 million in tax revenue.
- Obtain one of only three rural federal Empowerment Zones in the nation, which resulted in $40 million in public investments and leveraged $122 million in private investments.
But it's about more than money. KHIC delivers technical assistance and training to help business owners increase their likelihood of success. The KHIC Innovation Center provides entrepreneurs with coaching, programs and specialized professional services in a LEED-certified building that contains product development, office and laboratory space.
KHIC also has started housing initiatives with the goal of creating jobs while providing energy-efficient, affordable housing.
None of this would be possible without the strong partnerships on the local, state and federal level with private and public organizations. Together, we are developing lasting solutions and cultivating homegrown entrepreneurs.